Friday, July 25, 2008

The Biltmore Estate









Yesterday I spent six hours at the Biltmore Estate. What a magnificent place. 8,000 acres of land and 12,000 square feet of luxury living. We were not allowed to take pictures of the interiors but I did buy a DVD of the tour so I can revisit. I intend to share this with my sister Lolly. She wanted so much to see this amazing place. The DVD will be the next best thing.

Today my legs are feeling the many stairs and steps of the tour. The house does have an elevator but I trudged up and down unaided. Good practice for my bionic hip.
They said that George Vanderbilt had this estate created before he married and wanted it to be a self-sustaining venture. There is a winery (it was a dairy farm originally), a farm that raises much of the food used by the Estate and wonderful country (8,000 acres) to explore and appreciate.

The Estate is still privately owned by the ancestors of old George and was opened to the public in the 1930's. I would say to anyone, "don't miss the opportunity to tour this fabulous place". The pictures don't do it justice.

P. S. Just so you know, I have not lost my leg....just the way I was standing in the picture.

No comments: