Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hilton Head Island












I've been on Hilton Head Island for nearly a week. I am staying in a very nice RV Resort on the Inland Waterway...the bridge to the mainland is shown in my pictures.
The highlight of my stay, in addition to the Hallelujah Singers, was my boat trip with Capt. Rick. We went out to find dolphins. The Fin you see in my pictures is not a shark! It is one of the many Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphins that live in the South Carolina waters. The marshlands are lovely....the houses big and rich....lots of gated communities and high end resorts. Beach access is hard to find but nice when you get there. The Island is interesting, master planned, with lots of attention given to minimizing the impact of hurricanes. The Live Oak trees are planted everywhere and the roads are planned to eliminate the opportunity for winds to increase their velocity.

The Gullah culture is alive and flourishing. Decendents of the slaves that were brought to the Island to work the Plantations. I took a tour of the Island and saw so many historical sites.