Saturday, August 2, 2008

New Bern & Atlantic Beach, NC



I arrived in New Bern, NC yesterday and am staying at the KOA. New Bern is of interest because it is the location of the North Carolina government house, built between 1767 and 1770 by Royal Governor William Tryon,representing the British Crown. Tryon and New Bern played a big role in the last installment of Diane Gabaldon's Outlander series. I figured if I went all the way to Scotland to see sites from the series, I should check out the local sites. I have been in the "Highlands" of both Scotland and North Carolina and now this coast. I should thank Ms. Gabaldon for such an interesting travel itinerary.

I also finally got to the Atlantic ocean. It has been a long time since I've seen the Atlantic. The first time was in 1961 when I took my son Dan to meet his paternal grandparents in New Jersey. Mom and Pop Havens lived in Ocean Grove, NJ, a beach town right on the Atlantic Ocean. Having spent my life up to then on the west coast I was thrilled to see the Atlantic. Since then I have had many opportunities to revisit the Atlantic but none as exciting as that first time. So here I am again.

No comments: